It’s time for another recipe, and today’s turn is for pasta pomodoro!
As a normal human being whose part of today’s society, I love pasta. Whether it’s spaghetti, ravioli, lasagna or tortellini, I could eat pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner without complaints. The only part that I struggle with are the sauces; I’m not a big fan of what I like to call “rich sauces” like marinara or creamy pesto, and the sauces that I do like – Bolognese and Alfredo – add just too much calories to the dish. However, a couple years ago I discovered pasta pomodoro and became obsessed with it pretty fast.
Pasta pomodoro is basically spaghetti served with a very light sauce made of onions, garlic, tomatoes and basil and it’s absolutely delicious an easy to make. What I love the most about this dish is the fact that the sauce has a lot of flavor and a very light texture. Also, pomodoro sauce is relatively “low calorie” (if you limit the amount of oil to be used) which to be honest, is always better than a sauce that adds 400+ calories to the dish – whenever I can save some calories, I’ll take that outcome! Preparation wise, this pasta is super simple to make, and preparation doesn’t take long at all – 30 minutes at the most.
That being said, it’s time to cook!
INGREDIENTS (Serves approx. two people):
- 4 ounces of spaghetti – or angel hair, my favorite.
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes (without the skin).
- ½ cup of yellow onion – finely chopped.
- 4 garlic cloves – finely chopped.
- ½ cup of basil leaves – chopped.
- ½ cup of pasta water.
- Balsamic vinegar – a drizzle.
- Salt – to taste.
- Black pepper – to taste.
- Red pepper flakes – to taste.
DIRECTIONS (step by step pictures below):
- Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until dente. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In a large deep skillet, pour oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and a little bit of salt. Sauté for approximately 3-4 (until translucent and fragrant).
- Add the tomatoes, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and half of the pasta water to the skillet. Simmer in medium-low heat for about 8 minutes. If the pasta water evaporates too son, add more.
- Stir in red and black pepper to taste. Try the sauce and make sure it’s seasoned properly (including salt). Add the cooked pasta and the basil and combine.
- Serve and top with a little more basil and some Parmesan cheese.
THAT’S ALL! Super easy, super fast and super delicious.
I hope you guys give it a try.